In the Preamble to the Constitution, the Founders laid out six goals for the new nation:
- Form a More Perfect Union
- Establish Justice
- Ensure Domestic Tranquility
- Provide for the Common Defense,
- Promote the General Welfare
- Secure the Blessings of Liberty to Ourselves and Our Posterity
As we approach the 250th year of our Republic, this may be a good time to assess how well we as a country - ourselves as citizens, our systems, our institutions,our leaders - are fulfilling these goals. So, in this survey, we will ask you to reflect on each of these goals. What are we doing well? Where could we improve?
We will also ask you to consider the goals as a group. Are they still relevant in today's society? Would you change, delete, or add anything?
In other words: what, to you, is (or should be) the purpose of the United States of America?